The mission of the UNM-Los Alamos Library is to provide for the information needs of its students, faculty, and staff, and to contribute to the information resource base of the communities which it serves, through its resources (both traditional and electronic), services, staff, equipment, and facility.
Mission Goals and Objectives
To fulfill its mission, the UNM-Los Alamos Library should provide:
- Materials in various formats (both traditional and electronic) such as books, magazines/journals, newspapers, and current audio-visual media.
- Balanced collections in support of the curricula.
- Current materials as well as classics as appropriate to each discipline offered at UNM-Los Alamos and as appropriate to the interests of the greater community.
- Organized, readily accessible collections.
- Access to its collections through an online catalog
- Access to information databases, including full-text databases.
- Access to all Internet functions such as email and the World Wide Web.
- Programming such as lecture series; art and book exhibits, including gallery talks, book signings, and exhibits curated by students.
- Public services including reference and circulation functions, reserve, and interlibrary loan.
- Customized support for individual courses and assignments.
- An information literacy instruction program, including group and individual instruction, designed to enhance student success and to provide a path toward life-long learning.
- Training sessions for faculty and staff through the Instruction Technology Center (ITC).
- Well-informed and trained information professionals and support staff who are knowledgeable of current issues in information access and delivery.
- Customer/public-service oriented staff providing prompt and consistent services.
- A team-work approach to fulfilling the missions of the Library and UNM-Los Alamos.
- Current hardware and software for public and administrative use.
- Wireless technology.
- Access to a photocopying machine.
- A variety of study spaces in an environment conducive to learning.
- Classroom-type instruction space within the LIbrary facility.
- Space for art and book exhibits as well as cultural events.
- Space for a growing collection.
The goals and objectives outlined in this document were recommended by the members of the UNM-LA Library Committee on December 10, 1997. Revisions and updates to the goals and objectives were approved by the UNM-LA Library Committee on October 14, 2008.